It’s rhubarb season over here! Do you love how zippy and tangy rhubarb is as much as I do?! It just tastes SO good mixed with sweeter things like ice cream or a sugary crumb topping. The other week, I shared my favourite strawberry rhubarb pie recipe, and today I wanted to share with you my go-to rhubarb cake recipe: this delicious rhubarb crumb cake! If you’re of German heritage like I am, you might also call it rhubarb streuselkuchen.
I really like this cake because it’s such a great mix of sweet and sour flavours. I also like that it’s made with yogurt for a lighter feel. The crumb topping makes my German roots so happy, too!
We often buy a large pack of single-sized yogurt for our family. No one likes the vanilla flavoured ones (except for me), so I’ll save them and use them later for this cake. I love how the vanilla flavouring in the yogurt tastes in this cake!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13" casserole dish with butter and flour.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar, baking soda, salt and 2 cups flour. Stir in the eggs and vanilla yogurt and then fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, mix together ¾ cup sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in ¼ cup flour and cinnamon until the mixture is crumbly. I use my hands. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
Enjoy your yummy rhubarb cake with one of my favourite DIY drinks…. a vanilla latte. YUM!
You might also want to try my strawberry rhubarb pie recipe: