With almost all of the rooms in Our DIY House done (ish), it’s time to work on a very personal space in our home: our master suite. We’ve left this space until almost the very last because hardly anyone sees it except for us, but it’s definitely time to finish it and turn it into a luxurious retreat for my hubby and me. I really enjoyed being a part of the One Room Challenge this Spring (you can check out the makeover I did in Little C’s bedroom here), so I thought the Fall version of the ORC would be a great way to encourage the finishing of our master suite. I want our master bedroom and bathroom to feel very calming and elegant, but I also want to give them some modern and rustic touches. The look I’m going for? Modern French Country! I love the traditional, rustic elements you usually find in French country decor like linen, cotton, old wood and burnished metals. We’ll make the space a little more modern by introducing a little bit of geometric pattern, pops of black and some sparkle. Let me show you what we’re planning to do to make our master suite a modern french country retreat (in 6 weeks!) for the One Room Challenge.
Here’s what our master bedroom looks like now:
It’s really not that bad looking, but it’s just so…”MEH”. I’m not loving the medium grey of the walls as much as I used to when I picked the colour out a few years ago. I’d love to try something a little lighter and brighter on the walls.
I never did finish caulking and painting the trim in here, so that definitely needs to be done if I’m painting the walls. Then… why not add some more trim to the tray ceiling to make it pop? I have a really cool plan for the ceiling to make it the star of the room! Oh, I can’t wait to try it and show you.
Here’s a really horrific photo of the opposite side of the room where our walk-in closet is:
Sorry that it’s so messy and gross, but these make for amazing “before” photos, am I right?! I just need to organize the closet better and find a good solution for hiding the mess here if/when it gets messy again. I also want to create a pretty little reading + dressing nook in this corner.
So, we’re basically working with a blank and very grey canvas here. We need more life! More personality!
And while we’re at it, why not finish up the ensuite too? Here’s how our master bathroom looks now:
It’s THISCLOSE to done, so I just need to do some finishing painting, we need to get some glass for the shower, I need to install the hardware and we’ll be done like dinner. We also need to separate the bathroom better from the bedroom, so I thought a barn door would be a fabulous solution!
Here’s a mood board I created for our Modern French Country Master Suite Retreat to keep me on the right track:
- Hampton Cream King Sham from Taylor Linens
- Melody Grey Wallpaper from Graham & Brown
- Caroline Wing Chair in Ivory from The Brick
- Mongolian Faux Fur Pillow from Amazon
- Bean Bronze Metal Floor Lamp from The Brick
- Distressed Black Wood Frame from Amazon
- Reclaimed Weathered Wood White from Stikwood
- Loft Off-White Shag Area Rug from The Brick
- Nicolet Accent Cabinet from The Brick
- Love Never Fails Sign from William Rae Designs
- Jaclyn Smith Diamonds Fabric from Fabric.com
- Hancock Park King Bed from The Brick
- Provence Oak Laminate Flooring from Lowes
- Wexford Upholstered Bench in Beige
I think all of these pieces will look really beautiful and interesting together! I’m going to attempt another neutral room because I like that scheme for a restful space like a bedroom, however I may throw some colour in at the end. It’s anyone’s guess!
You might recognize some of these pieces from the traditional glam master bedroom design collab I did with The Brick a little while ago. I loved a couple of these pieces so much that I wanted to keep them and incorporate them into our own master bedroom decor!
I’m really excited that The Brick will be working with me on this makeover again, and I’m working with a few other fabulous sponsors that I’ll introduce to you over the next few weeks.
Here’s the plan for our One Room Challenge Modern French Country master suite makeover:
- apply an amazing treatment to the tray ceiling and trim it out
- paint the walls
- caulk and paint the trim
- hang window coverings
- arrange new furniture & accessories – a bed, nightstands, chairs, a lamp, an area rug
- get new bedding with a french country vibe
- address the walk-in closet situation
- install a barn door to the ensuite
- finish off the ensuite by adding hardware, trim and glass
- install a wallpaper or trim detailed accent wall? Maybe! We’ll see once the ceiling’s done.
- hang vintage and handmade art
Bring on the sawdust, the paint on my face, and the sore muscles. Let’s do this!
Make sure to follow along with all of the other exciting room makeovers in this season’s One Room Challenge right here.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by The Brick. As always, all of the opinions here are my own. I only recommend companies that I use and love myself. This post also contains affiliate links.