I saw a quote online a few days ago:
"Don't wear skinny jeans unless you have skinny genes."
I'll admit I did laugh (because I'm a sucker for a good pun), but I really don't agree with this statement. I don't think you have to be "skinny" to wear skinny jeans (or leggings or tights for that matter), I simply think you need to know how to style them to make them work for your body.
As a petite & curvy mom (I'm about a size 12 right now), I wear skinny jeans, leggings and tights often. I think I mostly get them right, though I know I've had a few style disasters along the way. They're comfy, and a great basic!
Here are my personal "do's" and "don'ts" for wearing skinny jeans if you're a petite, curvy mom like me:
- don't buy the wrong size (make sure they're not too, too tight - you don't want to look like you're "flowing" out of them at the top")
- don't choose an extremely low cut pant (a higher waistline will also prevent a "muffin top" effect)
- don't wear skinny jeans or leggings with a tight top (unless you're covering that with a long, loose cardi or sweater)
- don't wear skinny jeans or leggings with a short top (unless you're covering it with a longer layer)
- do opt for higher waisted skinnies
- do try a body shaper beneath your skinny jeans to smooth out any lumps and bumps
- do wear longer, looser tops with skinny jeans and leggings (it helps to at least cover the top half of your caboose to create a lengthened shape)
- do opt for skinnies in darker colours
- do wear bright accessories near the face (like scarves and long necklaces) to draw the eye upward
- do think "vertical" - anything to create a long, vertical line will help lengthen your look (open-front, long cardigans; long necklaces; long scarves; vertical stripes; tall boots with a wedge or heel; etc.)
- do accentuate your narrow parts (a belt around the waist can really help accentuate your lovely hourglass figure)
Here are my picks from one of my favourite online retailers, ModCloth.com, for pairing with skinny jeans:
- Natural Utopia Earrings
- Desert Daydreaming Top
- Flora All Time Belt
- What About Bauble? Necklace
- Get Stitched Quick Boot in Brown
- Medium Format Memory Tunic
- Spring in Every Season Jeans in Teal
- Be Still My Locket Necklace
- Return of the Macchiato Cardigan
- Rooftop Harvest Tunic
- Know When to Fold 'Em Boot in Ivory
Are you new to ModCloth.com? Use this link to get $15 off your first purchase of $50 or more: http://sharethelove.modcloth.com/a/clk/1PrWt1
Are you a petite curvy mom that wears skinny jeans? What are your styling tips?
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. It's a win-win - thanks for helping support thediymommy.com!)