By Shelly Hill
When it comes to frugal crafting, I like to repurpose regular household trash into new craft projects. One of the items I like to use are empty baby food jars. These little jars can be repurposed into many different types of craft projects.
You can paint them or leave them plain. One of my quick and easy ways of decorating them is to just glue ¼" wide ribbon around the lids rim and then glue a powder puff or fabric pillow on top. You can accent your powder puff with a satin ribbon bow or leave it plain.
Here are a few ideas:
1. Bath Salt Containers (fill with your favorite homemade bath salts)
2. Bubble Bath and Bath Oils
3. Hold Desk Supplies (staples, paper clips, rubber bands, pencil leads, etc.)
4. Craft them into a pin cushion
5. Hold Sewing Supplies (needles, bobbins, buttons, snaps, etc.)
6. Hold Craft Supplies (buttons, beads, brads, eyelets, etc.)
7. Hold Loose Tea and give it as a gift
8. Candle Holder (pour candle wax into them or just sit a tea light candle inside it)
9. Tooth Pick Holder
10. Party Favors (decorate them for party favors and fill with candy)
11. Blowing Bubbles Solution (make homemade bubble solution for the kids)
12. Mini Candy Dish (fill with small candies like M&M's, Jelly Beans or Tic Tacs)
13. Sand Art (purchase colored sand and let the kids make sand art inside the jars)
14. Homemade Body Butter Containers (fill with homemade body butter and body lotions
15. Lip Balm Tubes Organizer (You can fit 4-5 standard lip balm tubes inside)
16. Gift Jar Container (all kinds of jewelry will fit inside for gift-giving)
Repurposing your empty and clean baby food jars into useful and pretty crafts is a great way to save them from your local landfill. So, the next time you are getting ready to trash an empty baby food jar, think of all of the crafty things you can create with it.
Shelly Hill is a mother and grandmother living in South Central Pennsylvania who enjoys crafting, sewing and scrapbooking. Shelly has been crafting for over 30 years. You can visit Shelly's online craft site at http://passionateaboutcrafting.blogspot.com for FREE craft project ideas and FREE craft patterns.