This chicken pot pie recipe is so simple to make, uses basic ingredients, and it’s always a hit with our family. Learn how to make this scrumptious comfort food for your next family supper!
I’m pretty sure that this chicken pot pie will quickly become your family’s favourite comfort food! Pair it with a salad for supper, or eat it solo. It makes great leftovers, too!
Pot pies can be tedious to make, but this one is a lot quicker with the use of frozen veggies and a pre-made pie crust. You could also use fresh veggies and a homemade pie crust like this one – it’s totally up to you.
Here’s how to make the easiest chicken pot pie:
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb cubed chicken breast
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- prepared pie pastry - double crust
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Heat a large saucepan on the stove on a high heat setting and add the cubed chicken breast.
- Mix in the chopped celery and frozen peas & carrots.
- Cover the mixture with water, and let the water boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and set it aside.
- In the same saucepan on a medium heat setting, add 1/3 cup butter.
- Add the chopped onion, and cook until the onions are clear (about 3 minutes).
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Slowly mix in milk and chicken broth. Stir the sauce until it starts to thicken.
- Set the sauce to the side and prepare a 9" pie plate with the prepared pastry.
- Pour the chicken & vegetable mixture into the pastry lined pie plate.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture.
- Place the top crust on the pie, fold it over the bottom crust, and flute the edges. Cut slits into the top of the pie.
- Cook the pie in your oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is nicely golden brown.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
My ultimate favourite slow cooker recipe: honey garlic chicken with peppers. It’s incredibly flavourful, and it’s so simple to prepare. Simply set it up after lunch, and you’ll be able to enjoy it over rice at suppertime.
These homemade burritos are seriously SO tasty! They contain all of the food groups, and they’re really easy to modify for all members of your family.