As much as I love a good rhubarb pie, sometimes (well, most of the time!) I don’t have time to make one. Enter this delicious and incredibly fast rhubarb crisp recipe! It has all of the tart and sweet goodness of a pie, but it’s really quick to prepare. If you have an abundance of rhubarb in the garden like I do, this makes for a really great last-minute dessert that will wow your guests (or kids)!
This recipe is so fast to make, and it has really simple ingredients that you will probably have on hand.
The base of this rhubarb crisp highlights the tartness of the rhubarb. There’s only a bit of sugar mixed in to give the dish a bit of sweetness.
The crumb topping is a great blend of brown sugar, oats, flour and butter. I like to crumble the ingredients together with my hand for the best texture.
Ready to make this easy rhubarb crisp for dessert tonight? Here’s the recipe.
- 5 cups fresh chopped rhubarb
- ½ - ¾ cup sugar (depending on taste)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- Mix the chopped rhubarb and the sugar in a bowl, and pour into a 9 x 9" casserole dish.
- Mix together the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Chop the chilled butter into cubes, and then mix it into the flour mixture with your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the rhubarb in the casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.