This coming Monday is Family Day here in Alberta and really looking forward to spending a day with my husband and 3 girls! It’s wintery outside and we don’t have a huge budget, but there’s still lots that we can do together.
Here are 23 FREE or ALMOST FREE family activity ideas that you could do this Family Day (or any day!) in the winter.
- Head to your local library, read some books together, check some out, and grab some new movies to rent.
- Make some recycled bird feeders together and hang them outside.
- Bake a batch of yummy chocolate chip cookies together.
- Make homemade cloud dough, lay out some newspaper on the floor, and play with it.
- Throw an indoor dance party complete with costumes and prizes for the most original dance moves.
- Tour a local museum or art gallery together.
- Play some board or card games.
- Make edible finger paint and create some art.
- Go outside and have a snowball fight!
- Build an epic blanket fort together.
- Teach your kids how to sew, crochet or knit.
- Have a winter campfire outside and toast marshmallows.
- Work on a large puzzle together as a family and celebrate when it’s done.
- Go skating at your local rink or pond.
- Shoot some home movies. Have your kids make their own YouTube video!
- Go toboganning in your back yard or at the best hill around.
- Have a movie marathon complete with all of the movie theater essentials – popcorn, special drinks, candy and lots of intermissions.
- Work on creating family photo albums and reminisce together.
- Go outside and build a snowman or a snow fort.
- Bake cinnamon buns together and bring some extras over to your neighbors.
- Learn a new winter sport together like snowshoeing or skiing.
- Invite some family friends over and have a dinner party.
- Plan a nature scavenger hunt in your own backyard.
The Brick is celebrating family right now too with their Friends & Family Sale! Right now you can get up to 60% off their sofas, up to 63% off mattresses, and you can find great deals on their appliances. Check out their latest flyer for the details by clicking here. I personally have my eye on this Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress. We need a new one so badly, and this is such a great price!
Tell me: What are your plans for Family Day? Are you staying in or getting outside?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by The Brick. As always, all of the opinions here are my own. I only recommend companies that I use and love myself.