It took me until last week to finally try a "green" smoothie, and I was pleasantly surprised. I blended a frozen cube of spinach together with some yogurt, peaches, strawberries, bananas and orange juice, and it was SO good! I'm definitely hooked, PLUS I figured out a way to prepare some easy smoothie packs in advance so that the kids or I can enjoy green (or not green) smoothies easily at any time of day.
Here's how to make really simple smoothie packs so that it's easy to have a healthy snack in a couple of minutes! I'll share with you how I make a green or not green smoothie with simple ingredients, and I'm sharing a video of the process too - it's at the end!
Green (or Not Green) Smoothie Packs
- plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt
- silicone muffin tin
- desired fruit and vegetables (I used bananas, strawberries, peaches and spinach)
- small plastic freezer bags
To make the smoothies later, all you need to add is fruit juice (I use orange juice) or water.
- Put a tablespoon of yogurt into each compartment of the muffin tin and freeze until hardened.
- Chop up the fruit and vegetables. You could add chopped spinach, or you could use serving-sized frozen spinach cubes (I found mine at Safeway).
- Put desired amount & types of fruit and vegetables in the freezer bags with one of the pucks of frozen yogurt. I put about ⅙ of a banana, ½ cup of each fruit, a cube of spinach and one puck of frozen yogurt in each of my freezer bags. You could make some smoothie packs different than others too - I didn't put spinach in the ones I made for my girls (yet!).
- Put the smoothie packs into the freezer and pull them out one at a time when you'd like a healthy smoothie. Dump one into the blender, and blend with 1 cup of juice or water for an easy snack.
Little A is fond of a simple smoothie with bananas, strawberries and yogurt...
... while I finally got over my fear of the colour of a green smoothie, and I'm now partial to my smoothies with the addition of spinach. Who would've thunk?!
Here's a quick video from my YouTube channel on how to make easy smoothie packs. I hope you enjoy it!