Not only is Streuselkuchen a fun word to say, but it’s one of my favourite German treats! This crumb cake brings back so many wonderful memories for me. My mom, one of my aunts, or my Grandma would always bring it to all of our extended family gatherings – especially around Christmas time. This is a coffee cake with a sweet yeast dough base and a crispy, sweet crumb topping. It’s great as a brunch dish, or with coffee after supper. Let me show you how to make German Crumb Cake AKA Streuselkuchen!
The base of this cake is very similar to cinnamon bun dough, so what my mom often does is make a large batch of sweet yeast dough and make half of it into cinnamon buns and the other half into Streuselkuchen.
If you want to try the version of crumb cake that doesn’t have yeast in it, you can check out my Rhubarb Streuselkuchen recipe right here.
You could use your favourite sweet yeast dough recipe for this cake and then follow the directions for the crumb topping, or use the recipe for the dough below.
The dough also freezes well, so you can make a large batch and then freeze half for later. I also do this with pizza dough – simply put half into a plastic zipped bag, place it in the freezer, and then take it out several hours before you want to use it again so it has a chance to thaw and rise.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup cold, salted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let it sit for 5 minutes to proof. If the mixture turns frothy, continue. If not, use a different batch of yeast.
- Add the sugar, butter and eggs and mix well.
- Mix in the flour a cup at a time. Once the dough it too thick to mix, use your hands to mix it and knead it.
- Let the dough rise for an hour.
- Once risen, spread the dough out into a large cookie sheet. Let the dough rise for another hour.
- To make the crumb mixture, combine 1 cup of flour with ½ cup sugar. Cut in ½ cup butter, add the vanilla, and mix and press the mixture with your hands to create a crumb consistency.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture on the pan of dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the edges of the cake are golden brown.