Learn how to mix decor styles like farmhouse & mid-century modern, and see how we updated our colorful kitchen breakfast nook with striking green velvet dining chairs.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Brick. As always, all of the opinions here are my own.

I’ve been a fan of the farmhouse & french country decorating styles for quite some time now, and I think I always will be. I’ve always loved a more traditional look for decor, and since we live in the country these styles really work for our home. With that said, you probably know that I love bright bits of colour and unexpected elements in my decor. I’ve never been the type to decorate my home in all neutral colours, or stick to one decorating style. I think combining contrasting decor styles together is a great way to make a style that’s all your own!

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

You might remember that I gave our breakfast nook a little makeover this Spring by adding a DIY bench and this round Trudell dining table to the space. You can have a look at that makeover right here.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

As we approach Fall, I thought it would be fun to add a cozier look to this nook via some beautiful velvet dining chairs.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

Enter the green Manhattan Dining Chair from The Brick. I can never say no to anything in velvet – especially for Fall & Winter. It’s such a cozy, soft fabric with a lovely sheen.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

The Manhattan Chairs are part of the Scott Living collection from The Brick which makes me love them even more! I’ve watched more episodes of Property Brothers than I care to admit.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

These chairs have a definite mid-century modern vibe with their sleek shape, chrome legs and olive green colour, but I really love how they look with my more traditional dining table. The green of these chairs matches the green in my DIY drapes perfectly, and the bright colour is a nice contrast to all of the neutral tones in the rug, table, cupboards and walls.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

As we transition from Summer to Fall, these upholstered chairs add a little warmth and texture to our space. We’ve had these chairs for over a month now, and I’m really happy with how they’re holding up with kids. They’re easy to wipe down with a damp cloth if spilled on, and they’re definitely comfortable.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

Now, how do you mix such different decor styles together like farmhouse and mid-century modern?

One great tip I’ve learned over the years is the 80-20% rule for combining styles. Choose one dominant decor style for your home (in my case, traditional farmhouse) that will take up about 80% of the visual space and then a secondary style (here, it’s mid-century modern) that takes up the remaining 20% of the room.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

Another tip for combining decor styles? Ensure that there’s repetition of a colour, pattern or texture throughout your space to make it feel cohesive. In my breakfast nook, I’m repeating the colours of olive green and turquoise throughout the area to help the modern and traditional pieces work together. Sprinkle repeating elements throughout your space to make it feel harmonious.

Colorful kitchen breakfast nook featuring a farmhouse table, turquoise drapes and velvet midcentury modern chairs

Mixing different decor styles can be daunting, but it’s a great technique to help make your home extra unique and totally you! It’s also a great trick if you’re living with someone that has a very different decor style than yours. Have fun being creative with your decor!

Now tell me: Is your home all one style or do you like to mix styles?