Worldwide Knit In Public Day was founded in 2005 by Danielle Landes and takes place on the second Saturday of June each year. What began as a way for knitters to come together and enjoy eachother’s company has now expanded in to a full week of Knit in Public festivities!
This year, Knit In Public Week 2013 starts June 8th and knits through June 16th. One of my favourite places to buy crafty supplies and indie sewing, crochet and knitting patterns (Craftsy!) is helping spread the word about KIP Week, and here are some cool resources they’ve compiled if you’re interested in taking part this year:
Organize a Knit In Public Meetup
• This is a Meetup page where people can create, join or organize a Meetup in their area to participate in KIPW. Pick a local park, coffee shop, library, or any other space open to the public, invite your knitting friends, grab your knitting needles, yarn, and go!
• You can schedule your Meetup for any day between June 8th-16th.
• Be sure to take photos to share on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #KIPW, or post photos to the Knitting Club on Facebook: www.facebook.com/knittingclub.
• Need some extra motivation to organize a #KIPW Meetup in your home town? Craftsy will be sending care packages to 10 Meetups, including free yarn, t-shirts, and other Craftsy swag!
• Participate in the largest knitter-run event in the world and organize a #KIPW Meetup in your town, or find one nearby you can join.
Knit In Public Week iPhone Patterns App
• Take your knitting pattern with you on the go!
• iPhone/iPad users can download the Knitting and Crochet Patterns app to save paper and access patterns on their devices
• Those without a mobile device can print it off from their computer
I’m personally going to try my darndest to pull out the old knitting needles and take part – even if all I end up making is a dishcloth. (There are some knitting patterns & tutorials hidden here on the blog if you’re interested.)
Any knitters in the house going to join me in knitting up a storm in the park with the kids this week?
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win – thanks for helping support thediymommy.com!)