Learn how to make a Mediterranean summer charcuterie board with 2 ingredient flatbread. This appetizer spread looks impressive, but it's actually so simple to create! Let me show you how.
This post is part of a summer charcuterie board challenge that I'm taking part in with some other fabulous creators. After you read my post, make sure to check out the bottom of this entry to see what my friends created!
Meet & cheese (+ anything and everything else!) boards are one of my favourite summer meal staples. When we're too hot to cook, a platter of cold food like this is the perfect meal solution.
Charcuterie boards like this are also a beautiful looking appetizer when hosting guests for a summer dinner. They're so colourful, and there are a variety of items for all tastes.
I've found that the easiest way to prepare these is to firstly come up with a basic theme. Do you want a platter that's solely tropical fruit with fancy cheese? What about a Mexican themed platter? A board based on a colour scheme would be fun, too!
For this one, I chose a Mediterranean theme because I LOVE anything Mediterranean. Gimme all the olives, grapes and prosciutto, please!
The next step in creating a beautiful charcuterie board is to arrange the largest items on a board. I used a large, round cutting board and started by placing my cheeses, bowls of dip (I used store-bought hummus and tzatziki to make it simple!), and meats.
Then, layer smaller items around the larger items, filling in all of the empty spaces with a variety of foods like fruit (dried or fresh), vegetables, small crackers, slices of bread, pickles, olives etc. I find that creating irregular shaped mounds with the foods always looks great, but you could also experiment with more symmetrical or geometric designs.
The final touch is adding in some pretty cutlery to allow guests to serve themselves. I found these pretty marble and rose gold cheese knives and forks at HomeSense this Spring.
It's pretty easy, right? I love making these for summer and I hope this helps you get started on your own charcuterie board for your next gathering (or easy summer supper)!
My favourite addition to my Mediterranean inspired charcuterie board was this simple, homemade 2 ingredient flatbread. If you've seen my two ingredient bagels, you'll know this dough is SO easy to make, and it tastes great! It's just Greek yogurt with self-rising flour, and I love it cooked as a flatbread just as much (if not more!) than as a bagel. To me, it has a very similar texture and taste to pita bread. Here's the easy recipe:
- 1 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup self-rising flour (or use 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder & ½ tsp salt)
- Mix the Greek yogurt and self rising flour together using a stand mixer and a dough hook.
- When the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl, stop mixing and divide it into four parts.
- Roll each part into a ball, and then flatten each ball with your hands and then a rolling pin to create a circle about ¼" thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium-high setting on the stove, and when its hot add one flatbread to the pan.
- Cook until the bottom is browned and the flatbread is bubbly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Flip the flatbread and cook on the other side until the bottom is browned.
- Repeat with the remaining flatbread. Cut and serve.
Now, come see how my blogging friends made their summer charcuterie boards: