Welcome to a week of easy, handmade scarf tutorials. It's Scarf Week - like Shark Week, but far less frightening! From Monday to Friday, I'm sharing with you 5 super-duper-simple handmade scarf tutorials that would make great gifts for your friends and family this Christmas season. These are seriously easy to knock out. I made all 5 scarves in a couple of little girl nap times over two days!
The third DIY scarf I want to share with you is not new to my blog, but it's SUPER AWESOME. Meet my staple scarf sewing tutorial - the 15 minute infinity scarf. I've made a gazillion of these for myself and as gifts over the last few years, and my DIY Scarf Week list simply isn't complete without one of these.
To make this simple and totally awesome infinity scarf, you can either read my first post on it with more elaborate instructions, have a look at my video, or keep reading on to see the short 'n sweet version with *all new* pointing fingers in the photos.
- 2 yards of knit jersey fabric, woven rayon (what I'm using here), or try changing it up with these fabrics - really, you can use almost any fabric for these depending on the look you want (makes two scarves)
- sewing machine or serger
- needle and thread
- Cut your fabric in half lengthwise so that you have two long pieces of fabric that are 2 yards long.
- Fold your fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew along the raw edges to make a long tube.
- Fold the tube right side out. Bring the bottom of the tube up over the top - in the photo I'm showing you that the seams are on the same side.
- Twist the inner layer around so that its seam is on the opposite side. This creates a twist in the finished scarf to help it lay flat.
- See? The seam on your inner layer is on the opposite side now.
- Sew this circular seam together with a sewing machine or serger as shown, leaving a 2-4" opening.
- Turn the scarf right side out, and hand stitch the opening shut.
You can wear the scarf long like this:
Or wrap it twice around your neck like this:
It's cute, easy to make and totally giftable! I wear my handmade infinity scarves constantly.
Come back tomorrow for another easy DIY scarf tutorial! Here's the plan (the links will all work when the week is done):