Welcome to the final day of a week of easy, handmade scarf tutorials. It's Scarf Week - like Shark Week, but far less frightening! From Monday to Friday, I've shared with you 5 super-duper-simple handmade scarf tutorials that would make great gifts for your friends and family this Christmas season. These are seriously easy to knock out. I made all 5 scarves in a couple of little girl nap times over two days!
The third DIY scarf I want to share with you is this plush and oh-so-cozy faux fur cowl. Up here in Alberta, soft and warm things like this that hug your neck and look stylish too are essentials! This was also a simple scarf to make, and I'm trying to decide if I want to give it away or keep it for myself.
- ½ yard of faux fur fabric that is at least 60" wide (makes two cowls)
- sewing machine, needle, thread
- ruler, pen, scissors
- Ensure your fabric is cut straight. If not, use a ruler, pen and scissors to measure and cut the faux fur so that it's a nice, straight rectangle. When cutting faux fur, I always try to cut only the backing and not the fur (it can get really messy otherwise)! Cut the fabric in half width wise so that you have two pieces that are approximately 30" x 18". Sew a rectangle right sides together along the long edge as shown.
- Pull the cowl right-side-out, and then fold the bottom up over the top as pictured. You can keep the seams on the same side like I did (this creates a taller, more upright cowl), or you can twist the inside piece so that the seam is on the opposite side like you'd do for an infinity scarf (this creates a cowl that lies flatter).
- Sew the short sides together as shown, leaving a 4" hole.
- Turn the scarf right side out and hand stitch the hole shut.
Doesn't this DIY faux fur cowl look so cozy? I think it'd be so pretty (and practical) for a family outing at Christmas time!
Thanks for coming along with me for Scarf Week! Here are all of the easy scarf tutorials we covered this week:
Monday: Arm Knit Scarf
Tuesday: Plaid Blanket Scarf
Wednesday: 15 Minute Infinity Scarf
Thursday: Fringed Infinity Scarf
Friday: Faux Fur Cowl
Have a wonderful weekend, DIY friends!
Indeed, this seems easy. Moreover, this very beautiful and stylish.