Grilling and summertime are synonymous around here. There's nothing like a meal cooked mostly on the BBQ to make us feel like we're on a summery holiday! We've been enjoying a lot of BBQ'd meals lately, and these tropical grilled chicken skewers with easy coconut rice are our absolute favourite. I've made it a few times, and I've finally come up with the perfect recipe to make it super-fast and incredibly delicious every time!
To make this meal extra fast, I use pre-made teriyaki sauce and Basmati Minute Rice. The rice only takes 10 minutes to cook and it's delicious!
To get the meal started, I chop up some chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and marinate it for at least an hour in the teriyaki sauce.
Then, I chop up some bell peppers and fresh pineapple, and toss those in some olive oil and sea salt. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to find a little helper to toss the veggies for me.
I alternate the marinated chicken, peppers and pineapple on skewers, and place them on a grilling tray.
I pop the skewers and tray on a pre-heated BBQ and grill them for about 30 minutes until they're slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, or after the skewers are grilled, I pour some coconut milk topped off with a bit of water into a pot.
I add some Basmati Minute Rice to the coconut milk & water mixture, and then I cook it according to the package directions. The resulting rice has such a lovely coconut flavour!
To serve the meal, I lay the tropical chicken skewers over the rice and sprinkle everything lightly with some coconut flakes and a little more teriyaki sauce.
This is such a delicious, flavourful meal and it would be a great addition to any BBQ you're having this summer!
Here's the recipe:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 pineapple
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- wooden skewers
- Basmati Minute Rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- flaked coconut to taste
- teriyaki sauce to taste
- Chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and marinate it in the teriyaki sauce in a sealed bag or container for at least one hour.
- Chop the peppers and pineapple into bite-sized pieces and toss them with the olive oil and sea salt in a bowl.
- Alternate the chicken, peppers and pineapple on the skewers and place the skewers on a grilling tray.
- BBQ the skewers for a half an hour, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are slightly charred.
- To make the coconut rice, pour the coconut milk into a saucepan. Add enough water to the milk to have enough liquid in the pot according to the rice package directions.
- Add Basmati Minute rice and cook as directed.
- To serve, arrange the skewers over the rice, and sprinkle with flaked coconut. Serve with extra teriyaki sauce.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Minute Rice. As always, all of the opinions here are my own. I only recommend companies that I use and love myself.
Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com
This meal looks so delicious!! I had coconut rice for the first time ever at a Thai restaurant and thought it was amazing! Excited to make this whole meal for our family this week! Thanks for sharing! xo
Oh my gosh this sounds delicious!! Thanks for the fabulous dinner idea 🙂