Grilling and summertime are synonymous around here. There's nothing like a meal cooked mostly on the BBQ to make us feel like we're on a summery holiday! We've been enjoying a lot of BBQ'd meals lately, and these tropical grilled chicken skewers with easy coconut rice are our absolute favourite. I've made it a few times, and I've finally come up with the perfect recipe to make it super-fast and incredibly delicious every time!
To make this meal extra fast, I use pre-made teriyaki sauce and Basmati Minute Rice. The rice only takes 10 minutes to cook and it's delicious!
To get the meal started, I chop up some chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and marinate it for at least an hour in the teriyaki sauce.
Then, I chop up some bell peppers and fresh pineapple, and toss those in some olive oil and sea salt. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to find a little helper to toss the veggies for me.
I alternate the marinated chicken, peppers and pineapple on skewers, and place them on a grilling tray.
I pop the skewers and tray on a pre-heated BBQ and grill them for about 30 minutes until they're slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, or after the skewers are grilled, I pour some coconut milk topped off with a bit of water into a pot.
I add some Basmati Minute Rice to the coconut milk & water mixture, and then I cook it according to the package directions. The resulting rice has such a lovely coconut flavour!
To serve the meal, I lay the tropical chicken skewers over the rice and sprinkle everything lightly with some coconut flakes and a little more teriyaki sauce.
This is such a delicious, flavourful meal and it would be a great addition to any BBQ you're having this summer!
Here's the recipe:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 pineapple
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- wooden skewers
- Basmati Minute Rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- flaked coconut to taste
- teriyaki sauce to taste
- Chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and marinate it in the teriyaki sauce in a sealed bag or container for at least one hour.
- Chop the peppers and pineapple into bite-sized pieces and toss them with the olive oil and sea salt in a bowl.
- Alternate the chicken, peppers and pineapple on the skewers and place the skewers on a grilling tray.
- BBQ the skewers for a half an hour, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are slightly charred.
- To make the coconut rice, pour the coconut milk into a saucepan. Add enough water to the milk to have enough liquid in the pot according to the rice package directions.
- Add Basmati Minute rice and cook as directed.
- To serve, arrange the skewers over the rice, and sprinkle with flaked coconut. Serve with extra teriyaki sauce.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Minute Rice. As always, all of the opinions here are my own. I only recommend companies that I use and love myself.