I'm trying to be a healthier mommy. I'm taking baby steps, and the baby step I took this past month was to focus on healthy eating.
I'm not a raw foods and tofu kind of girl, so my goal is simply to eat "real foods" (i.e. non-processed foods) as much as possible.
I've been a meal planner off and on for a long time, but I find that it really helps me and my family to eat well, spend less money on groceries, and have a more relaxed dinner time. I've decided to share my meal plans with you with the hope that it won't only keep me motivated, but that it will be useful to some of you. There are so many good supper recipes I've loved and tried and I want to share them!
Here are my own "rules" for meal planning:
- I plan six meals - they can go on any day of the week (whatever we're feeling like eating that day) and the 7th day is for leftovers or eating out. This helps me go with the flow a little and not feel like I'm failing if we have have to change things due to life.
- We like to eat meat, whole grains and vegetables at every meal but I can usually convince my husband to have one meat-free meal a week.
- The meals are as "from scratch" as possible, but they still need to be simple (enter my crock pot and a lot of one-dish meals).
Welcome to week one of Meal Planning Monday!
On the menu this week:
- Cheese Ravioli with Five Ingredient Brown Butter Tomato Sauce - We'll sub the cheese ravioli for whole wheat tortellini.
- Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken (Tried Before) - This is a really flavourful crock pot recipe which I find rare. We'll serve over rice with a side of stir fried veggies.
- Five Spice Ginger Beef (Tried Before) - A great alternative to breaded ginger beef and a lot easier to make.
- Skillet Rosemary Chicken (Tried Before) - This is an old standby. I usually skip the rosemary and add in some green beans or asparagus to the mix. Tasty!
- Easy Shepherd's Pie (Tried Before) - It's simple comfort food at it's yummiest.
- Pork Chops with Pineapple Fried Rice (Tried Before) - We love the teriyaki flavour of these pork chops and the pineapple in the rice is unexpected and fresh.
If you have some tasty recipes on your meal plan this week, please leave links to them in the comments below!