Sometimes I like to spend a lot of time on DIY projects, and sometimes I just want to make them as simple as possible and get them done.
This easy minky change mat cover was one of the latter kinds of projects. I made it before Baby A was born, and I completely forgot to share it until now (almost a year and a half later)! I still use this DIY change pad cover daily. It's washable, it's comfortable, and it didn't take me long at all to sew. It's basically a small fitted sheet - without mitered corners. Here's how I did it:
- ½ yard minkee fabric (or any soft fabric, but I love minkee for baby items because it's just so soft and cuddly) I get my minkee (minky) fabrics from Fabric.com - love them!
- ¼" elastic
- a plastic or foam change pad that needs a cover (I have one like the one pictured on this IKEA changing table)
- Measure your change pad from side to side, making sure to add the height of the outside and inside edges. Add 2". This will be the width of the piece of fabric you'll need to cut.
- Repeat with the length of the changepad, using this measurement as the length of fabric that needs to be cut.
- Cut a piece of minkee to this measurement, and then round the corners (I use an ice cream pail lid).
- Fold the edges from right side to wrong side about ½" and pin. You can pleat the corners a little to make this work. Sew the edges down, ensuring that there's at least a ¼" casing for the elastic. Leave a 1" hole.
- Cut a piece of elastic that's appoximately ⅔ the circumference of your changemat. Thread it through the casing, sew its ends together, and then sew the casing hole shut.
- Your done! It's a simple cover, but it's quick and it's easy to remove when it needs to be washed. You can make a couple so that you'll always have one on hand.
Sidenote: Here's darling Baby A at only two days old. How small is she?! Is is just me, or does the second baby seem to grow up at lightening speed?
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase products via these links, a small percentage of the sale will be given to me at no extra cost to you. It's a win-win - thanks for helping support thediymommy.com!)