With Mother’s Day just around the corner, I wanted to share not only some gift ideas that you could give your own mom, but some that you could give to yourself! These strawberry & lavender scones are decadent, delicious, and something that you our your significant other could prepare the day before Mother’s Day so that they’re ready for your own breakfast in bed.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by The Brick. As always, all of the opinions here are my own.
I think I can speak for most of us moms – the thing we really want for Mother’s Day is a BREAK. We just want one day where we don’t have to do any of the cooking, cleaning, waking-up-earlying, and all of the other stuff that we have to do on the other 364 days of the year.
I’m not saying we don’t enjoy all of that stuff and find joy (most days!) in doing it for our babies, but it can get exhausting having to juggle everything and a break is a welcome gift.
That’s why my Mother’s Day gift request this year is a morning in bed while my kiddos and hubby serve me a decadent breakfast and then a day of doing absolutely nothing else. Doesn’t that sound blissful? I set up our gorgeous Hancock Park Bed from The Brick with a DIY floral garland for Spring and for Mother’s Day. I love how high our headboard is because I enjoy decorating it for the seasons and for special occasions like this! We’ve had it for a year and a half now, and I’ve got to say that it’s my favourite piece of furniture in our home. On our Nicolet Accent Cabinets that we use as nightstands, I put some simple fresh grocery store floral arrangements that make me smile. I still adore the rustic wood & mirror combo on these cabinets and how the play against our white bed. They have a ton of storage, and I sure love how they look!
To complete my ideal Mother’s Day breakfast in bed, I found this rustic looking galvanized steel tray in store at The Brick. I love that it has tiny little brass bits in its corners that match the gold I have in my favourite dinnerware! I’m always pleasantly surprised by the fabulous accessories I can find when I take a little browse through The Brick’s accessories in store.
Now, on to the strawberry & lavender scone recipe!
If you love baking and don’t have a partner that cares for it, you can make these the day before Mother’s Day and then they’re ready for your littles to serve to you the next morning. If you have a hubby that loves to bake – bonus! Send him this recipe and give him a big fat hint that it’s your desired breakfast in bed for the big day.
I make a lot of biscuits which are similar to scones, and the trick is to handle the dough as little as possible for an extra flaky result. This dough is a little hard to handle because it has a ton of strawberries in it, but I promise you that the outcome is worth it. What makes these taste extra special is the lavender glaze on top. It’s a twist that makes these a perfect addition to your own breakfast in bed or a gift for your own mama!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped finely
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp dried culinary lavender
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar
- To make the biscuits, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the mixture. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the mixture until it turns crumbly.
- Add the chopped strawberries, egg, and milk to the bowl and mix everything with a fork until it's just combined. Do not over-mix; mixture will be delicate.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a large, flat ball. Cut it into 8 triangular pieces with a pizza cutter, and place the pieces on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees F.
- To make the glaze, place the milk and butter in a small saucepan on the stove and heat until the mixture is foamy but not boiling. Stir constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the dried lavender. After 15 minutes, strain the mixture through a fine strainer to remove the lavender buds.
- Mix in the icing sugar, and pour over the scones once they're baked & cooled.
I hope that you can also enjoy a day of relaxation in bed this Mother’s Day and sneak a few kiddie cuddles in there, too!
Now tell me: What’s YOUR ultimate Mother’s Day gift for yourself?