By Christina Dennis
A handmade diaper cake makes a great gift for a baby shower. It looks impressive, and it is equally just as practical!
A diaper cake is made with 2-4 layers of diapers. The size of diapers used is up to you, but size 1-2 diapers are usually less costly and fit babies longer.
To make a three-layer diaper cake, you will need:
- 1 box of diapers (60-100)
- 3 receiving blankets
- 3 baby facecloths
- 3 baby bottles
- Several rubber bands of different sizes
- Safety pins or diaper pins
- 2 yards of ribbon to coordinate with the receiving blankets
- plate or decorated circle of cardboard to use as a base
- Small stuffed animal
- Baby brush and comb (or other baby hygiene items like clippers, syringe, etc)
- Baby socks
- Sample packets of baby lotion or soap
- Pacifier & pacifier clip
- Small baby toys
To make the diaper cake:
- Use one of the baby bottles, and wrap one diaper at a time around it (don’t open the diapers up). Use rubber bands to hold the diapers in place (having another person hold the diapers as you fasten them with elastic is helpful). Make three layers of diapers – a small, medium and large size, using as many of the diapers as possible.
- Fold a receiving blanket lengthwise and wrap it around one layer. Hold in place with a safety pin/ diaper pin or two. You can choose to further secure the layer with an elastic band around the perimeter. Do the same with the next two layers.
- Tie a decorative ribbon around the center of each diaper layer (hiding the elastic band if you’ve used one).
- Cover the top of each layer with a facecloth, securing discreetly with safety pins/diaper pins.
- Arrange the layers in a stack, from largest on the bottom to the smallest on the top, and secure one to another with safety pins/diaper pins.
- Decorate your cake by fastening toys, baby hygiene items etc. to the cake with safety pins, or slip them beneath the elastic bands and/or ribbons.
- Complete the cake with a topper – a small teddy bear works well.
- Set the finished diaper cake on a plate or decorated circle of cardboard.