Does your family enjoy taco night as much as mine does?! You’ll love the addition of homemade flour tortillas to make your tacos taste extra delicious – and making them is easier than you think! Here’s my favourite flour tortilla recipe.
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Life’s Simple Ingredient. All opinions are 100% mine.
If you’ve followed my blog for any period of time, you’ll know that I love cooking and baking. I’m excited that my oldest daughter has been doing a lot of cooking and baking at home over the past few months too; it’s a great way to stretch our creative muscles (and enjoy amazing meals)!
We create foods with wheat flour almost every day. We’re constantly filling up the flour bin in our pantry, and all purpose & whole wheat flour are often on our grocery list! One of my favourite things to make with flour are homemade flour tortillas – they make our weekly family taco night extra special!
Homemade flour tortillas do take more time than store bought ones, but – believe me – there’s nothing like a fresh tortilla! I’ve experimented with several different recipes, and this simple combo of flour, lard, salt and water has been my favourite. Some recipes call for baking soda or a different type of fat, but I love this tried and true recipe.
Ready to make homemade flour tortillas for family taco night? Here’s my simple, favourite recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lard
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut in the lard, and then blend with a pastry blender until you get a sandy consistency.
- Add the water, and stir with a fork until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead it gently.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions and form each portion into a ball. Let the balls rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Flatten each ball into a disk, and then roll each disk out into a thin circle with a rolling pin on a floured surface.
- Fry tortillas over medium heat until lightly browned in a hot cast-iron skillet. Flip and brown the second side.
- Keep tortillas warm until served.
I often double the recipe so that I can have some for lunch the next day.
We like to serve these with a variety of taco fixings so that each family member can customize their taco to their heart’s content. Some favourites? Seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream, brown beans, rice and salsa.
Happy family taco night!
Want more simple recipes? Head to Life’s Simple Ingredient for lots of delicious ideas made with the goodness of wheat!