School has begun, dance class has started, work’s in full swing, so that means… it’s slow cooker season! I enjoy using a slow cooker to prep suppers in Fall and Winter to save time, but still cook something tasty and nutritious. Today, I’m sharing with you my ultimate favourite slow cooker recipe: honey garlic chicken with peppers. It’s incredibly flavourful, and it’s so simple to prepare. Simply set it up after lunch, and you’ll be able to enjoy it over rice at suppertime. Want even more supper inspo? Make sure to scroll down to the end of this post for more slow cooker recipes from my Canadian blogging friends.
The recipe that inspired my own is this Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken recipe from The Comfort Kitchen. I found it on Pinterest 2 or 3 years ago, and when I first tried it I KNEW I had to add it to our dinner repertoire. I find that slow cooker meals can often taste bland and have a funny texture, but this one is SO flavourful and tender – it’s delicious!
Over the years, I’ve modified this recipe to make it even easier. I’ve also added some fresh, chopped red pepper to the mix for a few extra nutrients in the dish. I serve it over Minute Rice, and the kids and hubby always gobble it up. It also makes great leftovers for the next day’s lunch!
Here’s how to make this delicious Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken with Peppers:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, mix together diced onion, garlic powder, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oil, red pepper flakes and chopped red pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts, and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker, and shred them with two forks.
- Add the corn starch to the mixture in the slow cooker, whisking it briskly as you do.
- Cook the mixture on the high heat setting for an additional 10 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and mix it together.
- Serve over rice.
Ready for some more slow cooker recipe inspiration? Make sure to visit the posts below from my blogging friends!
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon by Kim of Kim Power Style
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Jo-Anna of A Pretty Life
Cheesy Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup by Tara of Suburble
Weight Watchers Crock Pot Chicken Tacos by Virginia of Fynes Designs
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken with Peppers by Christina of The DIY Mommy
Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Cake by Kendra of Joy In Our Home
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Chili by Christine of Amidst the Chaos
Slow Cooker Apple Sauce by Jen of Kitchen Counter Chronicles
Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Shannon of AKA Design
Mexican Pulled Pork by Sarah of Flourish & Knot
Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip by Dannyelle of Life is a Party