This simple craft is a great activity to do with your kids this winter – you can get messy together, and then feed the birds around your yard! Making these DIY bird feeder ornaments is easy. All you’ll need are some ordinary ingredients, some metal cookie cutters, and a bunch of helping hands.
These ornaments only took us about a half an hour to make, and then I slowly baked them in our oven on the lowest heat setting so that we didn’t have to wait overnight for them to dry.
Whenever we put bird seed out in our yard, it disappears so quickly! We have a lot of fun trying to see if we can catch the birds eating their treats.
Watch the quick video below to see how to make your own easy DIY bird feeder ornaments, or follow the written recipe below. Happy crafting!
- 3 cups bird seed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the bird seed, flour, corn syrup and water together in a large bowl.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place metal cookie cutters on top.
- Spray the cookie cutters with cooking spray.
- Fill the cookie cutters with the bird seed mixture, packing it down as you go.
- Cut paper straws into thirds, and insert a piece of straw into each cookie cutter to make a hole for hanging.
- Back the ornaments in your oven at 170 degrees F (or your oven’s lowest setting) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Release the ornaments from the cookie cutters, string some twine through the holes, and hang the ornaments from trees outside.