Winter is a great time of year to practice making homemade comfort food. One of our favourites? Pasta! Have you ever tried making fresh, homemade pasta? Once you make it, you might have a hard time going back to the store bought variety! It's so tender and delicious, and it might be a lot easier to make than you think. Let me show you how to make homemade pasta at home.
The recipe for homemade pasta is extra simple: you need ½ cup of white flour and one egg per person. Those are the only ingredients!
The other thing you'll need is a pasta maker like this:
I've had mine for years and years, and it's not that expensive to buy! Click here to purchase the same brand of pasta maker that I have (Shule) for only $26.99 (US)!
In this example, I'm making pasta for four people. First, I put 2 cups of white flour into a medium sized mixing bowl. Then, I make a well in the center of the flour and add 4 cracked eggs.
I mix the mixture with a fork until it's blended, and then I knead it into a smooth ball.
I place the ball on a floured surface, and divide the ball into 4 portions. I flatted each portion into a rough oval shape.
Now it's time to crank the dough through the pasta machine. I set my machine at it's thickest setting - 7 - and then crank a piece of dough through. I keep passing the pieces of dough through the pasta machine at a thinner and thinner setting until I get the desired thickness I want. For my machine, I like to have the pieces at a level 3 or 4 thickness.
Once the pieces are at the thickness I like, I cut them into 10-12" pieces and put them through the cutting side of my machine to make fettuccine shaped pasta.
I lay the strips on a well floured surface while I make the rest, and after all of the strips are cut, I'm done! You can boil the pasta for about 5 minutes or until it's cooked to your liking.
That's it! Isn't that simple? And I can't wait for you to try this recipe and taste the delicious results!
Here's the homemade pasta recipe to save for later:
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 eggs
- Water if needed
- Add flour to a medium sized mixing bowl, make a well, and crack the eggs into the well.
- Mix with a fork until blended, and then knead with your hands to form a smooth ball of dough.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and continue kneading until it's soft but not sticky. Add extra flour to the dough if it's too sticky or a sprinkle of water if it's too crumbly.
- Cut the dough into four pieces, and shape each piece into an oval.
- Set your pasta machine to it's thickest setting, and roll each piece of dough through the machine to flatten it.
- Repeat this process on the next thinner setting.
- Repeat until you achieve your desired pasta thickness.
- Cut the pieces into 10-12" long pieces.
- Run each piece through the cutting side of your pasta machine to create fettuccine shaped pieces.
- Separate any pieces by hand as needed, and lay them on a floured surface as you prepare the rest.
- To cook pasta, bring a large pot of salted water and cook the pasta for about 5 minutes.
Here's a video on how to make the pasta:
Pin me for later:
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase an item via these links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.