Creating a nursery for your baby girl is an exciting and fun experience. It’s the perfect opportunity to create a warm, nurturing, and adorable environment where your little one can grow and thrive. In this post, I’ll share the latest color trends, popular themes, and styles for nurseries. I’ll also provide useful tips, must-have items, and DIY project ideas. I hope you enjoy these girls nursery decorating ideas!
I’ve had the pleasure of decorating a few baby girl’s nurseries – my own three daughters and my niece’s room. I love putting together baby rooms; it’s fun putting together whimsical designs while thinking of comfort and practicality. Here are my favourite baby girl nursery ideas to help get you started on your own design. Get ready to create the perfect room for your little princess!
Color Trends, Themes, and Styles
When it comes to choosing the right colors, themes, and style for your baby girl’s nursery, there are endless possibilities. Ultimately, you should choose a color scheme and theme that makes you happy. To get your started, here are some of the most popular options to inspire you:
- Pastel hues. Soft pastel colors, such as blush pink, lavender, mint green, and pale yellow create a soothing atmosphere perfect for a baby girl’s room. My favourite color palette that I’ve ever done in a nursery is the soft mint, white and pink in my niece’s garden themed nursery.
- Floral themes: Incorporating florals and botanical elements can add a touch of nature and whimsy to your baby girl’s nursery. You can choose floral fabrics for crib sheets, throw pillows (no pillows in the crib, though!), and window treatments. You could also include floral accents through artwork or wall decals. For my niece’s nursery, we found a chandelier with little flowers on it; so cute! Chandeliers can be a great way to add personality into a nursery.
- Boho chic: Embrace a bohemian vibe with textured fabrics, natural materials, and eclectic decor in your baby girl’s room. I added some boho touches in Little B’s nursery with feather art, floral fabrics and textures for a soft boho nursery idea.
- Modern minimalism: Keep things simple and clean with a minimalist design featuring neutral colors, sleek furniture, and functional storage solutions. This sophisticated, neutral nursery design by Marly Dice is a great example of minimalistic choices. A calming room like this is also a great choice for a gender-neutral design.
Useful Tips and Must-Have Items
Here are some essential tips and must-have items to help you create a safe and welcoming space for your baby girl:
- Choose a comfortable crib: Safety and comfort are paramount when selecting a crib for your baby. Look for cribs that meet safety standards and have adjustable mattress heights for added convenience.
- Invest in a quality changing table: A sturdy and functional changing table will make diaper changes easier and more efficient. I bought a solid wood one years ago and used it for all three of my girls!
- Find a comfy rocking chair: You’ll be up at all hours of the night feeding your little one, or comforting them back to sleep. A comfortable rocking chair is an essential nursery item. I like gliders that have plush upholstery and come with a gliding ottoman.
- Incorporate plenty of storage: Babies come with a lot of stuff! Make sure you have ample storage solutions, such as shelves, dressers with drawers, and baskets, to keep everything organized and within reach. Then, when they’re older the storage can hold things like toys and craft supplies.
- Select soft, cozy fabrics: From crib sheets and blankets to curtains and rugs, choose soft, cozy fabrics that will keep your baby girl comfortable and warm.
- Black out shades: Keeping your baby’s room dark is essential to promoting deep sleep. You could even consider covering some inexpensive black out shades with fabric to make them match the decor.
DIY Projects and Unique Decorating Ideas
Get creative and add personal touches to your baby girl’s nursery with these DIY projects and unique decorating ideas:
- Create a statement wall: Choose a bold wallpaper, paint a mural, or add a striking paint color for one wall in the nursery to make a striking visual pop. You could also choose to do some DIY board and batten, or some picture frame trim for a more subtle accent wall.
- Design a gallery wall: Showcase your favorite artwork, family photos (kids love to gaze at familiar faces), and sentimental keepsakes on a gallery wall to personalize the space. You could create a 3D gallery wall like the one I did in Little A’s room by incorporating a banner, plaques and embroidery hoops.
- Sew a quilt: Make a beautiful quilt with fabric that matches your baby girl’s nursery colour and themes. I made this stunning herribone patterned baby quilt, and it wasn’t too hard!
- Upcycle furniture: Give old furniture pieces a new life by painting them in coordinating colors or adding decorative hardware. Years ago, I reupholstered this budget-friendly rocking chair into something that matched my daughter’s nursery beautifully.
- Make a mobile: An embroidery hoop mobile like this one from Think Make Share is a simple craft project that would add so much personality to a little girl’s nursery.
Here are some product recommendations to help you create the perfect nursery for your baby girl:
- Crib: DaVinci Charlie – This stylish, convertible, and safe crib is perfect for your baby girl’s nursery and comes in various colors to match any theme.
- Changing Table: Eclipse Changing Table – A functional and attractive changing table that offers plenty of storage space for diapers, wipes, and other essentials.
- Rug: Mack & Milo Polkadot Tassled Rug – Add warmth and comfort to your baby girl’s room with this soft, plush rug in an adorable polka dot pattern in soft rainbow colours.
- Wall Decor: ABC Animal Chart – Enhance your nursery theme with this adorable wall art in beautiful colours and a whimsical illustrative style.
I hope that these adorable nursery decorating ideas for baby girls have given you the inspiration you need to create a magical space for your little one. Don’t forget to share your own ideas or opinions on baby girl nursery decorating in the comments below – I’d love to hear from you! Happy decorating!