If you're searching for a sugar-free, whole grain blueberry muffin - I'm sorry. This is not your muffin. This delicacy is a really a soft, moist cupcake under the guise of a blueberry muffin. This muffin is not a daily eating muffin, but rather a now-and-then treat muffin. It's a muffin that is so creamy, rich and delectable that you may just call it an undercover blueberry cupcake.
I have to add vanilla to most things, so I've done it with this recipe and then made a simple vanilla brown sugar glaze to top this treat off. The result is a delicious, rich blueberry vanilla muffin with vanilla brown sugar glaze. They're best served warm with a glassful of milk!
Blueberry Vanilla Muffins with Vanilla Brown Sugar Glaze
Adapted from Blueberry Muffins by Real Simple
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted & cooled
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tsp (or more) milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until blended. Stir in the blueberries (be careful not to over mix them or they'll turn mushy).
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean). While baking, whisk together the icing sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and milk. Add enough milk to make a "glaze" consistency.
- When the muffins have cooled for about 10 minutes, drizzle on the brown sugar vanilla glaze. Serve while warm or freeze immediately to thaw and warm for later.