The Fall season calls for cozy blankets, warm sweaters, and hot drinks – especially the beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte! Why go out and spend your hard-earned cash on one when you can make it from the comfort of your own home? In this post, I’ll guide you through an easy and delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe that uses a homemade simple syrup. This recipe is perfect for those who don’t have the time for complicated recipes, but still want to enjoy a delicious pumpkin spice latte at home.
My favourite way to make a DIY pumpkin spice latte at home is to make some easy pumpkin spiced simple syrup that lasts me all week long. Then, I store it in my fridge to add to my lattes at any time throughout the week. It costs me less than $1 to make the simple syrup, so this pumpkin spice latte recipe costs far less than a trip to the coffee shop.
For the pumpkin spice simple syrup, you’ll need:
- brown sugar (or your favourite granulated sweetener like granulated sugar or Splenda)
- pumpkin puree
- pumpkin spice mix (a mix of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice & cloves)
For the pumpkin spice latte you’ll need:
- the DIY pumpkin spice simple syrup
- milk of your choice like dairy milk, or non-dairy milk like oat milk, cashew milk or almond milk
- pumpkin spice mix
See the recipe card for ingredient amounts.
On medium-high heat on the stovetop, bring the water, sugar, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spices to a rolling boil in a small saucepan. (You can make your own pumpkin spice mix here.)
Let the mixture simmer for about 2 minutes on low heat until it thickens and has the consistency of syrup.
Using a fine strainer, strain the simple syrup into a bowl.
Then, pour the simple syrup into a 1 cup mason jar with a lid. The syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
To make a pumpkin spice latte, pour 2 shots of espresso into a mug. (Use an espresso machine, Keurig, or Nespresso to make the espresso shots.)
Then, add 1-2 tablespoons of the homemade pumpkin spice simple syrup. I prefer 1 tbsp for a less sweet drink. Mix with a spoon.
Steam 1/2 cup milk of your choice, and then pour that into the espresso mixture.
Sprinkle the latte with a bit of extra pumpkin spice mix and enjoy! You can also top with whipped cream if you like.
- The leftover syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. If it thickens too much, simply add a little more water.
- If you don’t have a milk frother, warm your milk on the stove and use a whisk or hand mixer to froth it up.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of syrup or spices to suit your taste preferences.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract after boiling the simple syrup for a vanilla flavor if you wish.
- If you want to further sweeten your latte, add 1-2 tsp of maple syrup or honey to your espresso with the simple syrup.
For the Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice mix
For the Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 shots espresso
- 1-2 tbsp Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice mix
- Mix together the brown sugar, water, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice mix in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and then let it simmer for about 2 minutes on low heat or until the mixture is thick like syrup.
- Strain the simple syrup into a bowl, and then pour it into a 1 cup mason jar.
- Seal the jar, and this simple syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To make a pumpkin spice latte, pull 2 shots of espresso and pour it into a mug.
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp of the Pumpkin Spice Simple Syrup, and then add the steamed milk.
- Top with a sprinkling of pumpkin spice mix and enjoy!
- Use your favourite dairy or non-dairy milk for this recipe.
- Add more sweetness to your drink by adding more of the syrup, or adding some maple syrup or honey.
- Top with whipped cream before sprinkling with the spices if desired.
There you have it – an easy and delicious homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe that uses a homemade simple syrup! No need to brave the crowded coffee shops or spend a fortune on expensive drinks. With just a few simple ingredients, you can enjoy a cozy and flavorful PSL from the comfort of your own home. So, grab your favorite mug and get brewing!