When chatting with a friend the other day about what kinds of foods we ate, I had a realization.
It's been at least 6 months (maybe almost a year?!) since I've purchased macaroni & cheese from a box!
I've been making it from scratch as a quick lunch for my kids. Before you brand me with an Extremist Suzy Homemaker stamp and shake your head, let me tell you: I make it an easy cheater's way and it's fast!
I even add in broccoli or frozen veggies sometimes to give me and my kiddos some extra nutrients. They're fooled by cheese covered broccoli!
Seriously - give this a try. After you make it a few times, you'll be able to cook it in almost the same time you can cook the boxed stuff.
Broccoli Mac & Cheese from Scratch
- 2 Tbsp butter or hard margarine
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Salt & pepper
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or experiment with different cheeses!)
- 2 cups macaroni pasta noodles
- 1 cup chopped broccoli or frozen veggies
- Boil a large pot of salted water and add the macaroni pasta noodles.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter/margarine. When it’s melted, add the flour and stir to create a paste. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then add the milk and stir. The sauce should start to thicken in about 5 minutes. Keep stirring it periodically.
- Once sauce has thickened, add the shredded cheese and mix it in to melt it. Keep the sauce on the lowest heat until your noodles are ready.
- Add the broccoli or frozen veggies to your boiling pasta about 5 minutes before it's done. Drain everything when it's done (check your package directions, but most take around 10 minutes) and pour the cheese sauce over the noodles & veggies.
- Mix together and you’re ready to enjoy! Leftovers can be refrigerated for a couple of days to enjoy later.