Beef stew is the ultimate winter food. What's even better? When you can pop it into your slow cooker early in the day, forget about it, and then enjoy it for supper!
I love a good, chunky homemade stew because it's one of those rare comfort foods that's nice and healthy too (unlike my other favourite comfort food: bread)! You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
I like to top it with a cinnamon stick before I cook it for an extra warm and comforting flavour.
Here's how I make my slow cooker beef stew:
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 cups of fresh, chopped vegetables (I like to use carrots, celery & onion)
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- ½ cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup canned tomatoes (or I use frozen tomatoes from our garden)
- cinnamon stick (optional)
Mix flour, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Place chopped vegetables and potatoes in the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle flour mixture on top. Add stew meat, broth and tomatoes and top with a cinnamon stick (optional).
Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove cinnamon stick before serving. Enjoy!